A closer look at companies executing leadership excellence
The fire of 2009. The flood of 2013. The fire in the new headquarters in 2015. Each of these incidents in the past ten years might have made the owners of Fiasco Gelato seriously consider a name change. Instead, the Calgary-based small-batch artisan gelatiere kept cleaning up the damage and racking up recognition for its unwavering pursuit of greatness. All this while earning a B Corp rating of 110.9, slightly edging out Ben & Jerry’s.
Aside from the free gelato, employees express their own thoughts about working for the company on Fiasco’s Glassdoor page, like this one from a member of the marketing team:
Being a part of a fast-growing company, making decisions you wouldn’t in a larger corp., flexibility, strong supportive team, creativity encouraged, dream BIG mentality, lots of growth and learning opportunities, personal development funds, warm lunch prepared and served daily, lots of opportunities to volunteer and give back to the community, great culture, not just a number- you’re heard.
As Forbes contributor Afdhel Aziz wrote in an article featuring Fiasco, “When it comes to the fast-moving world of business and social impact, all the attention seems focused on the giants who are making headlines – the Nike’s, the Patagonia’s, etc. But there are many amazing stories of small to medium-sized businesses who are each in their own way doing great work, helping the communities they are part of, and leading a grass-roots revolution in socially conscious business.” That attention continues to grow as evidenced by these ten most recent awards achieved by Fiasco:
- 2018 – Certified Great Place to Work
- 2018 – Metro Calgary Community Award Recipient
- 2018 – REAP Awards: Empowering Employees Leader
- 2018 – REAP Awards: B Corp Leader
- 2018 – EY Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2018 (Prairies Region)
- 2018 – Small Business Week KPMG People’s Choice Finalist
- 2018 – Small Business Week ATB Small Business of the Year
- 2019 – Canada’s Top SME Employers
- 2019 – #30 Best Workplaces™ in Canada
- 2019 – Re-Certified Great Place to Work
Kudos to Fiasco for turning early setbacks into bigger and better comebacks, and showing others how to do well by doing good. To learn more about the Fiasco story, click here.