Welcome to the eighty-third issue of CEE News! .
This summer, I’ve had the privilege of working with teams from Ivy League Schools to government contractors to startups spawned from UC Berkeley labs. I’ve partnered with a 31-year old CEO/Founder to discuss how to build a leadership team, I’ve facilitated training for high-potential employees and senior leaders interested in mentorship, and I’ve worked with teams to refresh their 3-5 year strategic plans.
Regardless of what I’m asked to help with, leaders from organizations of all types and sizes are searching for answers to improving communication, getting better traction through aligned goals, and managing change. Throughout these meetings, there are usually one or two “a-ha” statements that serve as a catalyst for moving from what is to what is possible. Here are ten such quotes that have resonated with my clients, that may inspire you as well:
- If you have 100% of the information needed to make a decision, you’re not actually making a decision. You’re just stating a foregone conclusion.
- Your power as a leader does not lie in having all of the answers. Your power lies in your ability to ask the right questions.
- The need to change is not an indictment of your past performance but a recognition that you are farther than you have ever been but not yet where you want to go.
- Strategy without execution is meaningless; execution without engaged people is impossible.
- One of the hardest lessons we learn as change agents is that we have to change ourselves first.
- A change in a belief occurs before a meaningful change in behavior.
- Uncertainty and possibility are two sides of the same coin.
- People are down on what they’re not up on. Communication matters.
- Strategic goals are not aspirational. They’re about having the discipline to make good tradeoffs about what we’re going to do and what we’re not going to do.
- Surround yourself with people of diverse perspectives who can disagree with you without fear of retaliation.
I hope you find a statement or two from this list that resonates with you. Write it down. Share it with your people. The lessons learned through others can be extremely impactful on your journey.
Sheri Nasim | President & CEO